On February 13, 2009, Congress passed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. The Recovery Act’s main goals are:
- To preserve and create jobs and promote economic recovery.
- To assist those most impacted by the recession.
- To provide investments needed to increase economic efficiency by spurring technological advances in science and health.
- To invest in transportation, environmental protection, and other infrastructure that will provide long-term economic benefits.
- To stabilize State and local government budgets, in order to minimize and avoid reductions in essential services and counterproductive state and local tax increases.
(American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, H.R.1–2)